Re: Unable to use xlsread function

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Unable to use xlsread function
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 06:55:05 -0700 (PDT)

jf wrote
>> All the info you need is on the Octave wiki (did you know we have one?),
>> look here:
>>
>> http://wiki.octave.org/IO_package
>> BTW: the UNO-Java stuff is only needed when you want OpenOffice.org or
>> LibreOffice to do the work for xlsread. It's still experimental but for
>> really large spreadsheets it is the fastest option. I think most users go
>> for Apache POI.
>>
>> Philip
>
> Thank you for the quick reply.
>
> Unfortunately, the instructions in the wiki are still pretty vague: e.g.
> "Octave-forge Windows-1.0.8 or later package WITH LATEST SVN PATCHES
> APPLIED " How can someone know if the latest svn patches have been
> applied? When installing

If the latest windows pkg currently is 1.2.1 I'd suppose latest fixes to
1.0.8 have been applied.

Anyway if you read a bit on from there I think you'll hit the required info.

> An operating-system-specific step-by-step set of instructions would be
> of great help for the less skilled like myself...

Please remember this is a volunteer project. If you think something needs to
be improved,
complaining won't make it happen, we need contributions.

> I will try to circumvent this problem by using some other Linux tool for
> accessing the Excel files and converting them to a format that the
> Octave core can digest.

Right, csv would be good then.

Philip