Re: Unable to use xlsread function

From: jf
Subject: Re: Unable to use xlsread function
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 02:26:55 -0700 (PDT)

I am trying to use the xlsread functionality and it's not working either.

My operating system is Ubuntu 13.04, and the octave-io version which was
installed from the official repository was io-1.0.something. It didn't work
so I installed io-1.2.2 from Octave-Forge (downloaded the tar.gz, ran "sudo
octave" in the console to have permissions, and inside octave ran "pkg
install 'io-1.2.2.tar.gz' "). It still did not work.

After a few browsing I found this thread, where debatri was experiencing
error messages which were similar to mine. Running "chk_spreadsheet_support
('', 3) " as PhilipNiehuis suggests yields:

 "
Checking Excel/ActiveX/COM... not working.

Checking Java support...
  1. Checking Java JRE presence.... OK, found one.
  2. Checking Octave Java support... Java seems to work OK.
  Java (version 1.7.0_25) seems OK.
jmem =

<Java object: java.lang.Long>

  Maximum JVM memory:   859 MiB; sufficient.
Java support OK

Checking javaclasspath for .jar class libraries needed for spreadsheet
I/O...:

Basic POI (.xls) <poi-3> <poi-ooxml>:
  poi-3....jar missing
  poi-ooxml-3....jar missing
  => Not all classes (.jar) required for POI in classpath

POI OOXML (.xlsx) <xbean/xmlbean> <poi-ooxml-schemas> <dom4j>:
  xbean/xmlbean....jar missing
  poi-ooxml-schemas....jar missing
  dom4j....jar missing
  => Some classes for POI OOXML support missing

JExcelAPI (.xls (incl. BIFF5 read)) <jxl>:
  jxl....jar missing
  => Not all classes (.jar) required for JXL in classpath

OpenXLS (.xls (BIFF8)) <OpenXLS>:
  OpenXLS....jar missing
  => Not all classes (.jar) required for OXS in classpath

ODF Toolkit (.ods) <odfdom> <xercesImpl>:
  odfdom....jar missing
  xercesImpl....jar missing
  => Not all required classes (.jar) in classpath for OTK

jOpenDocument (.ods + experimental .sxc readonly) <jOpendocument>:
  jOpenDocument....jar missing
  => Not all required classes (.jar) in classpath for JOD

UNO/Java (.ods, .xls, .xlsx, .sxc) <OpenOffice.org>:
  program....jar missing
  unoil....jar missing
  jurt....jar missing
  juh....jar missing
  unoloader....jar missing
  ridl....jar missing
  => One or more UNO classes (.jar) missing in javaclasspath
Some class libs lacking yet...

"
So it seems that there are a lot of dependencies missing. Can anyone point
point out where these can be found? Should I raise this question in a Ubuntu
forum instead?

At
"https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Octave#Reading_xls_files_directly_from_Octave";
I found some links, but they seemed to be specific to that distro's
architecture.