Re: problem with installing a package

From: CdeMills
Subject: Re: problem with installing a package
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 09:43:10 -0700 (PDT)

chp380 wrote
> thanks for your considering but I really don't understand what are you
> talking about :(
> would you explain me these two questions more obviously? ( I'm really a
> freshman in Octave :)
> 1. How could I upgrade my Octave from version 3.4.0 to 3.6.4?
> 2. How could I install any packages on my mac? ( I mean where should I put
> the package file(s) I've downloaded from internet?)
> Thanks.

The simplest path:
1) go to www.macports.org, see 'getting started', go to the 'installation'
submenu. Install the package for your OS version
2) follow the instructions to download and install the Xcode developper tool
from Apple
3) inside a terminal: sudo port install octave-devel
    will bring you to the latest and greatest version of octave: 3.6.4

Regards

Pascal