Re: Unable to update control package

From: Arnaud Miege
Subject: Re: Unable to update control package
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 14:01:22 +0100

On 17 April 2013 11:40, Tatsuro MATSUOKA <address@hidden> wrote:

VS2010 version does not include the compiler so that you cannot update (a) packages by pkg install command without installing MSVC2010. (Express Edition may be used.)

It is perhaps hard work to update octave-forge package under the VS2010 version but you can try to do. Read carefully "Octave with Visual Studio"
on
http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Windows

BTW,
Octave-3.6.4 MinGW version prepares the control-2.4.2 package.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20Windows%20binaries/Octave%203.6.4%20for%20Windows%20MinGW%20installer/

If you want use VS2010 version not MinGW, the experimental snapshot of development version is available. See the thread
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-3-7-2-Windows-VS2010-available-td4650194.html

This snapshot includes the control-2.4.2 package.  Note that octave starts with GUI frontend by default but is still in the experimental stage. If you are in trouble when using GUI, try CLI (Command-Line Interface) version.

Regards

Tatsuro

Thanks. Unfortunately, because I don't have admin rights, I can't install anything (that requires admin rights obviously), and that includes MSVC. I was hoping to just update the package, but I guess I won't be able to do that (I assume just copying the *.m files in the control directory will work).

The readme for the VS2010 has the following about updating packages:

4. Forge Packages Upgrades ========================== When octave forge packages are released after the release of the main octave binary, it is sometimes desirable to upgrade an existing installation with the new package. This directory may contain such package upgrades, in the form of and installer named as: octave-<octave_version>-<package>-<package_version>-vs<vs_version>-setup.exe These installers are intended to be deployed on an existing octave installation with version <octave_version> and Visual Studio version <vs_version>. Simply execute the installer to deploy the new package version. Note that these upgrades are not uninstallable (there won't be any uninstaller available). To revert to the previous package version, you'll have to reinstall octave with the main octave installer.

So I guess, I am after octave-3.6.2-control-2.4.2-vs2010.setup.exe, which probably doesn't exist.

I would rather avoid upgrading to octave 3.6.4 because of the impact it has on other people I work with (we are conducting an evaluation of different software packages and have all installed the same version of each software package so that we're in sync) + the need to involve IT to install anything.

Thanks anyway,

Arnaud