Re: Unable to update control package

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Unable to update control package
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 19:40:48 +0900 (JST)

--- On Wed, 2013/4/17, Arnaud Miege wrote:
> I have the VS2010 installation of Octave 3.6.2 on my PC (running win XP SP2,
> no admin rights). I am trying to update the control package as I would like
> to try some of the new functions related to experimental data handling and
> system identification. However, when I try to update the package from forge,
> I get the following error message:
[snip]

VS2010 version does not include the compiler so that you cannot update (a)
packages by pkg install command without installing MSVC2010. (Express Edition
may be used.)

It is perhaps hard work to update octave-forge package under the VS2010 version
but you can try to do. Read carefully "Octave with Visual Studio"
on
http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Windows

BTW,
Octave-3.6.4 MinGW version prepares the control-2.4.2 package.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20Windows%20binaries/Octave%203.6.4%20for%20Windows%20MinGW%20installer/

If you want use VS2010 version not MinGW, the experimental snapshot of
development version is available. See the thread
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-3-7-2-Windows-VS2010-available-td4650194.html

This snapshot includes the control-2.4.2 package.  Note that octave starts with
GUI frontend by default but is still in the experimental stage. If you are in
trouble when using GUI, try CLI (Command-Line Interface) version.

Regards

Tatsuro