Re: Licensing compatibility - a closed-source dependency

From: Jan Hadáček
Subject: Re: Licensing compatibility - a closed-source dependency
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 20:08:58 +0200

Thank you for your reply.

> Instead, urge whoever created this library to allow you to use it
> freely in Octave so that you can distribute all of your software.

Urging the creators to change the license to GPL is not a viable
option. I think there is one more option left though.

Can I just change the wrapper API of my C++ code from native OCT to
MEX? According to this
(http://enacit1.epfl.ch/octave_doc/octave/html/OctaveFAQ.html/GPL.html#GPL)
it looks like a workaround to solve the legal incompatibilities, since
my C++ code calling the proprietary part wouldn't be considered a
derivative work of Octave anymore and I could release that part under
some BSD-like license that that permits interfacing with proprietary
components, instead of GPL. Since I'm not using any Octave internals
from my C++ code besides of pure interfacing with the script, it
should be technically possible (although annoying, I must admit) and
it should be legally correct as well, right?

Jan Hadacek