Re: Licensing compatibility - a closed-source dependency

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Licensing compatibility - a closed-source dependency
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 14:47:50 -0400

On 3 April 2013 14:08, Jan Hadáček <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thank you for your reply.
>
>> Instead, urge whoever created this library to allow you to use it
>> freely in Octave so that you can distribute all of your software.
>
> Urging the creators to change the license to GPL is not a viable
> option.

Why not? Are they deaf or dead? If they're dead, then yes, they can't
relicense it.

It doesn't have to be GPL, any GPL-compatible free library would do.

> Can I just change the wrapper API of my C++ code from native OCT to
> MEX?

A mex file can't really be called a derivative work of Octave in any
meaningful way, so if you write it, the GPL won't apply to it. This is
an unfortunate result and it would mean more work for you. More free
software for everyone would be much preferrable.

- Jordi G. H.