Re: Dilation operation on vector

From: Terry Duell
Subject: Re: Dilation operation on vector
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 08:56:19 +1100

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 05:54:39 +1100, PetrSt <address@hidden> wrote:

I'm not sure what do you mean by dilation problem, but I guess there is
hardly any octave function dealing exactly your problem. I think, it is
about defining and solving purely mathematical problem.

I used the words "dilation problem" as it was the way it was described in a paper by a learned person, with the faint hope it might mean more than simply saying "wheel rolling on profile" Also not knowing whether dilation is a smart way of solving the problem, I am inclined to agree that is probably best tackled by the application of geometry and trigonometry. Prior to my question, I had spent some time working through a solution, but was not having complete success. Your approach does look correct, but I'm not sure that it can be directly applied to my problem as-is. The profile data isn't simply elevations at each x value, the assumption is that the profile between x values is a straight line joining adjacent the points, hence there is the added complication of knowing which segment of the profile the wheel is tangent to at any position along the profile. I think I have to work a bit more on testing which segment the wheel is tangent to.

Thank you for taking the time to help.

Cheers,
--
Regards,