Re: Octave API

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave API
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 12:10:35 -0500

On 27 February 2013 11:52, ramack <address@hidden> wrote:
> One of the members responded:
> "You can work with Matlab through ForeXConnect from any language to which
> Matlab api exists. Here is an article how to work with
> C++:http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...LAB-Engine-API
> I hope that will help!"
>
> Having never used APIs, I am lost and not really sure where to begin except
> with the basics and build on that.  So, that's why I posed the question
> about a good starting place with Octave APIs.

In this contet, "Octave API" means some functions that ForeXConnect
provides that can be called in the Octave language. That person gave
you an unrelated response about how to call C++ from Matlab and is
completely unrelated to your problem.

When people say "API", I forgot to say that they also mean "web URLs
for manipulating data", i.e. a web API:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/API#Web_APIs

For example, the following bitbucket URL gives you some data about a repository:

https://api.bitbucket.org/1.0/repositories/tutorials/tutorials.bitbucket.org/issues

The idea is that these URL and various HTTP methods (e.g. GET, POST)
would allow you to manipulate this data. The data you see above is
passed as JSON.

What you want is to find some web API for that website you care about,
and then you can use Octave's urlread and urlwrite commands to
manipulate data using those urls.

- Jordi G. H.