Re: Octave API

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave API
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 12:37:48 -0500

On 27 February 2013 12:10, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 27 February 2013 11:52, ramack <address@hidden> wrote:
>> One of the members responded:
>> "You can work with Matlab through ForeXConnect from any language to which
>> Matlab api exists. Here is an article how to work with
>> C++:http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...LAB-Engine-API
>> I hope that will help!"
>>
>> Having never used APIs, I am lost and not really sure where to begin except
>> with the basics and build on that.  So, that's why I posed the question
>> about a good starting place with Octave APIs.
>
> In this contet, "Octave API" means some functions that ForeXConnect
> provides that can be called in the Octave language. That person gave
> you an unrelated response about how to call C++ from Matlab and is
> completely unrelated to your problem.

I misunderstood what ForexConnect was. I thought it was a website. If
it's a program, you need to figure out what functions this program
allows you to call from C++. For this, you would need to write a C++
program that works with ForexConnect and Octave.

However, ForexConnect appears to be non-free. This means that you
cannot distribute this hypothetical program, since this would be a GPL
violation.

For your goal of getting forex quotes, there are plenty of websites
that provide this functionality with a web API.  For example, here is
one:

    http://rate-exchange.appspot.com/currency?from=USD&to=EUR

Change the URL in the obvious way to get other curencies.

This was taken from here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3139879/how-do-i-get-currency-exchange-rates-using-google-finance-api

- Jordi G. H.