Re: plotting in windows

From: Andreas Weber
Subject: Re: plotting in windows
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 07:03:34 +0100

Am 11.01.2013 03:47, schrieb Ben Abbott:

> On Jan 10, 2013, at 5:33 PM, Andreas Weber wrote:
>
>> Am 10.01.2013 19:11, schrieb Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso:
>>> This isn't a Windows problem. The problem is that printing with fltk
>>> is done with gl2ps, and this doesn't work very well for moderately
>>> complicated plots.
>>
>> Ah, interesting.
>> So you can reproduce this problem? Does it work with antialiasing disabled?
>>
>> graphics_toolkit fltk
>> plot(rand(1e4))
>> print("test.png","-GraphicsAlphaBits=1")
>>
>> Regards, Andy
>
> The anti-aliasing option is passed as an option to ghostscript.
>
> Indeed when I add that option (I'm running MacOS X) the png file is created.
> When I don't use the option the png file is corrupted.
>
> That implies that eps files should be property created, and when I checked
> they were.
>
> Is this a bug in ghostscript?
>
> Ben

Hi Ben,
I thought this is a bug in ghostscript. Therefore I wanted goost to file
a bug report and we can then communicate this to the ghostscript devs.

What I did yesterday after reading goossts post:

octave:1> graphics_toolkit fltk
octave:2> plot(rand(1e4,1))
octave:3> print("-debug","test1.png")
CTRL+C

fltk-pipeline: '/usr/bin/gs -dQUIET -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dSAFER
-sDEVICE=png16m -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 -r150x150
-dEPSCrop -sOutputFile="test1.png" -'

Then I created the eps (perhaps there is a better method for this on
windows?)

octave:3> drawnow("eps","| cat > plot1e4.eps")

And run ghostscript from cmd and removed the options until I got a
result. With this method, I found that the plot is generated with
dGraphicsAlphaBits=1

Back to your answer: I know that GraphicsAlphaBits is passed to
ghostscript and I my first thought was, that it's a gswin32c bug only
with windows.

Regards, Andy