Re:

From: Stephen Montgomery-Smith
Subject: Re:
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 13:07:21 -0600

On 12/24/2012 12:29 PM, Leon Kaganovskiy wrote:
> Dear all,
> I am so sorry for bothering you, but I need quick help!
> I plan to teach a course in Math using Octave.    I am on Windows 7.
> My old version crashed and I erased it and now when I went online to get
> new one,
> I only see the ones which need to be built. compiled etc...    --- sorry
> no good for me and not computer savvy students I plan to teach.
> Is there any way you can point me to old windows installer (usual
> windows installation) which would also work with a proper version of GUI
> Octave?????
> I would appreciate it so much!!!
> Thanks

I was recommended the following GUI version of octave, which I will use
next semester when I teach a Math class using Octave:

http://mat.caminos.upm.es/octave/

and download the following 2 files:

http://forja.rediris.es/frs/download.php/2796/Octave-UPM-R6-setup.exe
http://forja.rediris.es/frs/download.php/2664/vcredist_x86.exe

Also, once you have installed it, delete or rename the languages folder
just under bin, and all the menus will be in English.

Finally, installing the octave forge packages will be problematic if
installing those packages involves compiling C or Fortran code.  But if
you want, for example, ode45, I can tell you how I achieved that as
well.  (Also if you don't care for Matlab compatibility, you can use
lsode instead of ode45.)

I am in the same place as you regarding how computer savvy many of my
students will be.  Also many of my students will have access to Matlab,
and I don't want to discriminate against them by using octave-only code.

Stephen