Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 11:54:48 +0000

On 24 December 2012 00:10,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 16:01:16 -0800 (PST)
> From: Clydee <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04
>
> Jordi,
>
> Under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
>
> >From the Octave manual, it tells me that I can download octave packages and
> install them simply with
>
> for example...
>
> pkg install controll-1.0.11.tar.gz
>
> and I get Permission denied.
>
> Attempting the same wtih pkg install -forge control
>
> returns
> warning: file -forge does not exist
> warning: file control does not exist
>
> Ubuntu software center knows nothing about Octave packages.
>
> So, Now that I show you what I type, what do you think I am doing wrong?
>
> Please advise.
>
> Clyde

Considering the error messages my guess is that you are using an old
octave version (probably 3.2.4) which does not accept the forge
option. You will need to download the packages yourself and install
them with "pkg install path_to_file". However, most packages will
require a more up to date version of octave. My recommendation is that
you upgrade it. See http://wiki.octave.org/Debian for the Octave PPA
or building from source.

Carnë