Re: Trouble installing control toolbox

From: marco atzeri
Subject: Re: Trouble installing control toolbox
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 07:40:13 +0100

On 12/14/2012 2:22 AM, Michael Noone wrote:
Hi Alexander - we're getting somewhere now! I installed gnuplot.
However, the graph I'm getting is rather ugly... I tried switching to
fltk and it did not change the output. Either way, I get an all text
output. I used octave with the controls toolbox a few years ago and I
remember getting nice looking graphs that popped up in an external
window - do you have any idea how to set this up?

you need to start octave from inside an Xterm, not from a console like
Mintty. Otherwise you see on octave start
"warning: X11 DISPLAY environment variable not set"

To have graphics on cygwin you need to start the Xwin server.

See below:

octave:1> pkg load control
octave:2> a = tf(1, [1 2 3])

Transfer function 'a' from input 'u1' to output ...

             1
       s^2 + 2 s + 3

Continuous-time model.
octave:3> bode(a)

attached screen copy using gnuplot graphics

Regards
Marco