saving a NxM matrix as a color-mapped image of size NxM

From: lynx . abraxas
Subject: saving a NxM matrix as a color-mapped image of size NxM
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 22:15:11 +0100

On 10/12/12 18:57:43, address@hidden wrote:
> Hello!
>

>  Is  it  possible  to  save  a colour image of what imagesc displays, i.e. a
matrix
> whos entries are mapped to the current color‐map? I  don’t  want  a  "screen
shot"
>  of the window that pops up when using imagesc (i.e. using print).
> I used to use saveimage for this but this no longer works. I tried:

Just to clarify what I’m looking for: If I have an NxM matrix in octave it can
be visualized with imagesc such that each value of the matrix is mapped to the
current color‐map and displayed as a kind of 2D histogram viewed from top. I’d
like to save this as an image without any annotation but with the same  color‐
mapping e.g. as a PNG with NxM pixels.
Is this still possible in octave 3.x?

Thanks for any hints or help.
Lynx