Re: Filtering Signals according to an Amplitude Range

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Filtering Signals according to an Amplitude Range
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 15:10:01 +0100

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 3:01 PM, pkohvaei <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have got some motion signals and I want to eliminate trivial moves which
> behave like noise for my whole digrams, I first tried a lowpass filter but
> it does not seem to work desirably since I'd rather need a means for
> eliminating data points smaller than a certein amplitude. I had a look into
> the other functions in the 'signal' package and fft looked promising. But
> again, do you have any experience in this , so with what functions would you
> go ahead?
>
> Cheers,
>

> --

If you filter base don amplitude you will also remove data points. If
in any case that is what you want to do. Select the points below the
threshold amplitude
below = signal <= Threshold
data   = signal(~below)

This doesn't sound like something you want to do anyways.

Check out the sgolayfilter function, those are shape preserving
filters that may work better than a simple lowpass.

You could also extract a "pattern" signal using matching filters, but
I do not know if that applies in your case.

Give us more detail, and we may be able to help you better.