Memory allocation error

From: asha g
Subject: Memory allocation error
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 15:50:04 +0800 (SGT)

I keep getting this error message when I try to run certain programs. Is there some way I can increase the memory so this error does not happen. Thanks Asha G

error: memory exhausted or requested size too large for range of Octave's index type -- trying to return to prompt
error: popen2: process creation failed -- Cannot allocate memory
error: called from:
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.3/m/plot/__gnuplot_open_stream__.m at line 28, column 44
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.3/m/plot/gnuplot_drawnow.m at line 85, column 19
octave3.2:1>