Re: Octave's and Matlab's limitations

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: Octave's and Matlab's limitations
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 10:31:33 -0800 (PST)

----- Original Message -----

[snip]

> Dima

Me too, but one shouldn't be a dogmatic. For example, in 'map' and 'grep' '$_'
is _quite_ in order. A typical Perl idiom is converting an array into hash
whose keys are the array elements and whose values don't matter - the hash is
intended to be used later for existence checks.

So, it's quite OK IMO to write

my %hash; map {$hash{$_} = ''} @array;

Or, if one wants to find elements with 'foo' substring, it's quite OK to write

grep(/foo/, @array)
.

Regards,
  Sergei.