Re: Octave's and Matlab's limitations

From: c.
Subject: Re: Octave's and Matlab's limitations
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 10:54:02 +0100

On 22 Nov 2012, at 10:49, Francesco Potortì wrote:

>> Though I agree with you that typically more than one language is
>> necessary, there is _nothing_ Matlab/Octave can do and other language
>> can't with the same ease or even easier and more elegantly and less
>> bug-prone.
>
> I think that the winning feature of Octave is the index notation and the
> ease to access submatrices with a readable and intuitive syntax.  That
> is, what is known as the Matlab index notation.  Are there any other
> languages that allow such indexing power and clarity?

I'd say Fortran 2003, but I think all of Jordi's objections (plus MANY more)
would apply
to that language as well, furthermore most compilers are lagging behind in
implementation of
the full standard.

These languages are specifically designed to facilitate handling arrays of
numbers,
if that's want you want they are both amazingly powerful and convenient.

c.