Re: stroring pointers from oct-files

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: stroring pointers from oct-files
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 01:13:08 +0100

On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 09:25:07AM +0100, pantxo diribarne wrote:
> I just don't know wether the memory is freed (it was
> allocated through libmodbus) when I quit Octave without calling
> modbus_free, or wether it results in a memory leak.

Assuming, since I don't know libmodbus, that it is just a library
(without an associated demon), and that you have not spawned a
different process, all resources including allocated memory will be
freed by the operating system at process end, i.e. when you quit
Octave. It would probably be good practice, however, to explicitely
free allocated memory before quitting; otherwise, if you ever should
examine your code by running it with Valgrind or similar, such a tool
probably could not distinguish this from a real leak.

Olaf