Re: When will the new GUI be ready?

From: andrewcd
Subject: Re: When will the new GUI be ready?
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 18:03:19 -0700 (PDT)

Abandoned by developers, but it still worked for users.

On 10/27/2012 06:01 PM, Carnë Draug-2 [via Octave] wrote:
On 28 October 2012 00:52, andrewcd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've just recently upgraded to the new Ubuntu, and Octave 3.6.2 comes with
> it.  QtOctave no longer works.

It has been abandoned for quite some time.
http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#QtOctave_has_been_abandoned._Why_are_you_working_on_yet_another_GUI_rather_than_trying_to_fix_QtOctave.3F

> I've been using gedit together with the
> terminal, but the whole process is pretty unsatisfying.  I miss F9
> functionality to run things line by line, and F5 functionality to run a
> whole script.  I also like to use GUI's for commands that it is difficult to
> remember the syntax for, because the syntax gets popped out into the
> terminal emulator.

Octave is not a text editor and never had those features. I'm guessing
those are from QtOctave, a different project.

> Somehow the terminal is slower as well -- it has weird behavior with parentheses.

I think that's a bug in readline, not in Octave. See
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-readline/2012-06/msg00008.html
You should ask ubuntu maintainers to fix the bug in their readline
package.

> And I need to hit shift-control-v to paste into it.

That's in Gnome terminal. Go to "Edit >Keyboard Preferences" and
change it to whatever you want.

> There is also a lot of needless mousing between the editor and the terminal.

Use Alt+Tab. If you are using the embedded terminal, see
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12320057#post12320057 for a
solution.

> When is the new gui gong to come out on a Ubuntu (debian) repository?

There's no release plan. But my guess is that it will come faster the
more people contribute.

> Alternatively, if compiling the source is easy, perhaps you could give
> people some easy step-by-step instructions for doing so?

See http://wiki.octave.org/Debian to build from source. However, you
want to build the development version, not stable release. There's a
reason it's not called stable.

> Thanks to all who put Octave together.  I wish I had the skills to do much
> besides use your product and complain.

I think you're selling yourself short there. You can write in Octave.
Luckily for you, a big part of Octave is written on its own language
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave

Carnë