RE: Segmentation fault when compiling octave

From: Feuerbacher, Alan
Subject: RE: Segmentation fault when compiling octave
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 15:43:40 +0000

Alan Feuerbacher wrote:

> . . . now I get an error when I try to plot something. That's true
> whether I use Octave compiled with or without opengl.
> . . .
> In the past few weeks I've successfully compiled octave without opengl
> and plotting worked just fine. Would it do any good to post the old and
> latest configure statements?

Turns out that the problem with gnuplot was that my RHEL5 system has a version
of gnuplot that uses the RHEL5 version of readline, but for some reason
(probably because my PATH is not quite right) was trying to use my own recently
compiled readline, and the .so libraries were not compatible. So I got hold of
and installed the latest gnuplot (gnuplot-4.6.1). Now gnuplot works properly in
both versions of octave: with and without opengl.

However, it appears that the octave version WITH opengl does not actually use
opengl (really Mesa), because even when I invoke it ("graphics_toolkit fltk"),
plots look exactly the same as when invoking gnuplot.

Are opengl plots supposed to look exactly like gnuplot plots? If not, how do
they differ? If so, how can I tell which plotter octave is using?

Thanks,
Alan