Re: Function shaperead for octave

From: Alain Foehn
Subject: Re: Function shaperead for octave
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 21:29:49 +0200

Hey all,
Thanks for your support and your quick answers this afternoon.
With further investigations, I found a package of functions for Matlab working also under Octave having a function m_shaperead that does almost what I am looking for. Just outputs are slightly different, but this function is of great help. The package is available on

http://www2.ocgy.ubc.ca/~rich/map.html

I think it would be a good thing to have such a function available in a "official" package for octave. I don't know the procedure for such an addition, mostly with a function written by someone else. I think some other functions could also be added to the mapping package of octave and would reinforce Octave strength in GIS field (I am a new engineer in a Alpine environment research centre and trying to show how Octave could be a good replacement to Matlab, so such arguments are welcome...). I will probably work on it next week a bit. Would you be interested by the modified version (I had some warnings of "matlab-looking syntax" or something like when I did tests today).
Thanks a lot again and greetings,
Alain