Re: Octave Set Up For Beginngers

From: c.
Subject: Re: Octave Set Up For Beginngers
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 19:36:22 +0200

On 1 Oct 2012, at 19:07, injoi wrote:

> Hey Octave community!
>
> I am just starting out with Octave and I am completely lost...I am
> proficient in MATLAB but I am lost now that I am trying to go open source.
>
> Can I get some help on where to download:
> 1) GUI for Octave 3.6.2
The GUI will be available in the next major release, which will be 3.8.0 or
4.0.0, there is no GUI in 3.6.x.

> 2) Lower version of Octave with compatible GUI
You might be able to find some third-party hacks that add a GUI over Octave
somewhere,
but most of them are abandoned and not fully functional.

> 3) open source beginners guide ( PACKT'S "free eBook download" is not
> working)
Others have been able to download the ebook. If you can't you might find some
info in the wiki at
http://wiki.octave.org

> 4) advice for how I should set up my system/program for thorough signal
> processing
you will have to make this question a bit more specific in order to get
a viable answer.

> Just trying to get my feet wet and figure everything out. thanks

HTH,
c.