Convergence Tests - Numerical Algorithms

From: Joza
Subject: Convergence Tests - Numerical Algorithms
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 15:04:40 -0700 (PDT)

This doesn't apply strictly to Octave, but I think it is relevant.

I have been looking at convergence tests, for example, in computing the root
or the fixed point of a function. Often, a rather crude test is used, such
as

IF  absolute_value(  x_k  -  x_k-1  )  <=  10^-6  STOP

where x_k is the kth term in the series. But this is dangerously naive, for
if say x_k = 10^12, then the next number around x_k is
machine_epsilon*absolute_value( x_k ) = 10^-4, so the test can never be
true.

I understand this quite well. Yet I've come two tests which are used as the
best for general numerical algorithms, and I cannot understand them:

BETTER:
IF  absolute_value(  x_k  -  x_k-1  )  <=
4.0*machine_epsilon*absolute_value(x_k)

BEST:
IF  absolute_value(  x_k  -  x_k-1  )  <= E_tol
4.0*machine_epsilon*absolute_value(x_k)

where E_tol is a tolerance value. Why the factor of 4? Why the E_tol, and
what is it? And why is the last one the best?

I hope someone can explain this, and these tests mystify me!

Thanks,
Joza