Octave retunring undefined?

From: knudmt
Subject: Octave retunring undefined?
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 11:04:20 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

new to octave :(

I am calling octave from a python script on a windows box.
my python script passes a filename and date to octave script which then
calls another octave script, however the script when run from python will
always return undefined
When run in the octave command line it runs fine

octave script that is throwing error

log_dir = 'someDir';
log_file = [datestr(today, 29) '.txt'];
yesterday = datestr(today-1, 29);

generate_daily_report([log_dir log_file], today); <-- this is returning
udefined at column 1

what is the deal?