Java problem with Fedora

From: Terry Duell
Subject: Java problem with Fedora
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 16:28:56 +1000

Hello All,
Back in Jan I encountered a problem with Octave 3.4.3 and Fedora 16 x86_64, where I received the message from Octave...

error: java_invoke:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0.x86_64/jre/lib/amd64/client/libjvm.so:
failed to load:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0.x86_64/jre/lib/amd64/client/libjvm.so:

Subsequent checking of my system revealed that there was no .../jre/lib/amd64/client dir, but there was a server dir containing libjvm.so. Responses to my request for help suggested that I could create the client dir and provide a simlink to libjvm.so, and that this had probably occurred because of a packaging problem. I am beginning to think that it may not be a packaging problem and that it may be Fedora policy to package openjdk with only a server dir containing libjvm.so, as the same issue has now cropped up with Fedora 17 and subsequent openjdk updates, i.e. I have had to create the symlink a number of times since my original message.

Is it possible for the relevant Octave code to look for libjvm.so in the server dir as well as the client dir, or to find the library some other way without causing other issues? It does seem that things are not as they should/could be if the user has to apply a fix to system files to overcome this error. It is a bit curious is that I seem to be the only one who has raised this question on this list. Surely I'm not the only one running Octave on Fedora... and encountered this error.

Cheers,
--
Regards,
Terry Duell