Re: GUI problem

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: GUI problem
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:05:05 +0200

Reza Housseini wrote:

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Philip Nienhuis
<address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    rezahousseini wrote

     > Hello help list
     >
     > I've built Octave under Ubuntu 12.04 with the latest development code
     > available. It goes trough fine but when I start up octave a
    declaration
     > window appears which says something about configuring the gui for
    first
     > use. When I click finish, nothing happens and even if I kill
    octave in the
     > terminal the window still resists. I have to terminate the process
     > lt-octave then the window closes. Octave with the no-gui flag is
    working
     > fine. Has anyone had a similar problem?

    It usually pays to not only look in the mailing lists (did you? also in
    maintainers list?) but also in the bug tracker,
    http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave.
    It may help to click "Display criteria" and set "Open/Closed" to "any"
    otherwise you'll only see the unresolved bugs and thus no solutions.

    For this issue, see e.g.,
    http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?37161
    Essentially the file qt-settings has to be copied to ~/.config/octave
<snip>

Thank you for pointing this out. But the workaround isn't entirely clear
to me, do I have to copy the file before compilation?

Before first run (i.e., even before invoking ./run-octave).
Mind you, this is a workaround until bug 37161 has been properly fixed.

As "make check" invokes the CLI octave version and "make install" doesn't run the GUI, those are the last build steps before this manual copying step is needed. FYI, the file defaut-qt-settings (somewhere in <SRCDIR>/libgui has to be copied to ~/.config/octave/ and renamed to qt-settings.

Philip