extracting only first few eigenvectors

From: Mike Miller
Subject: extracting only first few eigenvectors
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 16:20:40 -0500 (CDT)

Suppose I have a symmetric matrix of maybe 10000 x 10000 and I want to extract only the 10 eigenvectors associated with the 10 largest eigenvalues. Is there a way to do that without doing the usual full decomposition like so...

[V, LAMBDA] = eig (A)

...and then pulling out the needed pieces?

This will be a variance-covariance matrix so it should have no negative eigenvalues, if that matters.

Mike