How to load data files with mixed str & numerical data with headers "*.t

From: Shoumei
Subject: How to load data files with mixed str & numerical data with headers "*.txt.gz" or "*.xml.tgz"
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 07:05:59 -0700 (PDT)

I am a new learner of octave. I am trying to process large data files. I used
to unzip them and open with excel, then count the columns &rows and loaded
with "textread". I have to define the format with "%s " or "&f" for every
single column. It becomes slower and harder to do this way with a file of
e.g 49455x280. I tried to directly load them into octave but I got the error
"inconsistent number of columns near line 2". Suggestions are anxiously
needed.
I have octave 3.6.2 with pkg io,java and image installed.
Thanks
Shoumei