Uicontrol not displaying anything

From: felixt
Subject: Uicontrol not displaying anything
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 03:07:07 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all,

 I installed Octave 3.6.2 on both Windows XP and Linux 64 and I am trying to
port an application from Matlab, making use of some uicontrols.

 I see that the uicontrol function is provided in Octave 3.6.2, at least
when the graphics toolkit FLTK is in use (and it is an error to use it with
the Gnuplot graphics toolkit).

 The problem, however, is that the uicontrol function returns a valid
handler, but no pushbutton is visible on the figure. Setting and getting the
properties of the returned handler works well, except that the figure is
completely clean, no uicontrol appears no matter the properties (it seems).

 I posted a question on StackOverflow, too:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11658345/uicontrol-on-octave-3-6-2/11666665

 But now, I am short of solutions. Did someone else encountered the same
problem? Is there a known workaround? Do I make an obvious mistake?

Thank you very much!

Felix