Re: looking for a problem's name and possibly algorithm

From: Macy
Subject: Re: looking for a problem's name and possibly algorithm
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 08:36:45 -0700

Interesting,

I use the mail system provided by BasicISP.net; which provides the most
excellent shield against virii/malware and for those on dial-up, or billed per
bit; strips everything back down to text.

As you can see, this system automatically 'top' posts the replies.  However,
octave's group, unlike many other groups; hitting simple 'reply' only sends
response to originator, not to the group. Must always remember to take what is
now an unusual action of hitting 'reply all' Reverse thought process from most
of the 'new' groups where a simple 'reply' sends to the group.

Interesting to note that even for gmail account, google also automatically
'top' posts replies.

Perhaps, top posting is coming of age, because it saves people time when using
small screen portable devices. They would otherwise have to scroll down through
excessively long historical details before finally getting to the new reply.

Definitely saves me time with the snapshot view of any 'reply' posting always
showing only new information [can instantly decide whether to read completely,
or not], where as bottom posting would require looking at each item
individually and scrolling down to find the new information, then deciding no I
don't want to read this in detail, but I already just did!

Actually for me, because of the way I archive information; it is far more
irritating to wade through replies that excessively interlace their responses.
It is nice to have the reference adjacent to the comment, but often the
interlacing also quotes paragraphs of unrelated info down to that reference.

Culmination? I say to everyone:

Post your very worthwhile responses anyway you wish. Forget format, and
concentrate on clarity/content.

Regards,
Robert

..snip...

Hi

please send your answers also to the mailing list and try not to top
post (i.e put your answer below the quoted text). It makes it easier for
other people to follow the discussion.

...snip...

Regards,
Laurent