specifying one matrix index instead of two

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: specifying one matrix index instead of two
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 15:49:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

in octave-3.6.2 I see:

"
octave:1> foo = [1 2 3; 4 5 6]
foo =

   1   2   3
   4   5   6

octave:2> foo(1)
ans =  1
octave:3> foo(2)
ans =  4
octave:4> foo(2, :)
ans =

   4   5   6

octave:5> foo(1, :)
ans =

   1   2   3

octave:6>

".

My question is regarding output of 'foo(1)', 'foo(2)' - my expectation is more
or less an error message rather than output of foo(1,1), foo(2,1) respectively.

Is it because of compatibility with Matlab ?

My point is that at the moment I am adding a dimension (vector -> 2d matrix),
so I'd rather receive an error message in case I forget to add index, i.e. in
case I forget to convert bar(L) -> bar(K,L).

Thanks,
  Sergei.