Re: Problem with java package and xlsread

From: Markus Bergholz
Subject: Re: Problem with java package and xlsread
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 21:23:02 +0200

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 7:04 PM, frage <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am trying to use xlsread,  I have installed io and java packages and are
>
> I HAVE A JDK INSTALLED on my pc.
>
> i HAVE ALSO DOWNLOADED Apache POI.

:D

> When I try to add the path of the poi, it gives an error saying that
> octave.jar does not exist.

Yay, than octave.jar don't exist in your given folder.

 octave:5> javaaddpath /home/userhomefolder/path/to/file.jar

That's the basic.
And
octave:6> chk_spreadsheet_support
should return a value > 0

But i know, this is a nightmare!
Imho, the easiest way is to convert your xls file to an csv file using
gnumeric (libre/openoffice, calligra...) and use csvread.