Re: Problem with java package and xlsread

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Problem with java package and xlsread
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 13:35:48 -0700 (PDT)

frage wrote

> I am trying to use xlsread,  I have installed io and java packages and are

Are both loaded? (or do I misunderstand)
In Octave, do
   pkg load java io

What is the output of the Octave commands
   javamem
and
   chk_spreadsheet_support ('', 3)
?

> I HAVE A JDK INSTALLED on my pc.

Good.
Before installing the Java package, did you (in Octave) set the environment
variable JAVA_HOME? (setenv ("JAVA_HOME", "/path/to/java/....")?
Otherwise the Java package won't install properly.
Read the doc in the Java package /doc folder or here:
http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Java_package#How_to_install_the_java_package_in_Octave.3F
(watch out for line wrap)

> i HAVE ALSO DOWNLOADED Apache POI.
>
> When I try to add the path of the poi, it gives an error saying that
> octave.jar does not exist.

octave.jar is part of the Java package (if it was properly compiled &
installed).
This error message clearly tells us that you don't have the Java package
either loaded, or (properly) installed (I suspect the latter).

> I have tried everything I can think of but I just cant get it to work.
>
> Any help would be great.

It would be helpful to know:
- your operating system (+ 32 or 64 bit)
- Octave version
- Java JDK version, and where it is installed

Time and again, proper installation of the Java package is a big stumbling
block.
So, first make sure the Java package is properly installed.
1. set JAVA_HOME (see above)
2. pkg install -auto -forge -verbose java
.....and watch the output for a message like "Java.... yes". If you see "JDK
not found", something is wrong with the JAVA_HOME setting.

If the Octave command
  javamem
works, please report back; then we can help with the next step: io package
setup (which is easy).

Philip