problem setting up octave

From: Michael Teitelbaum
Subject: problem setting up octave
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 12:34:16 -0400

Hi,

I am a new octave user, trying to set up octave on a mac.  I believe I followed the installation instructions correctly, but I cannot get octave working.  When I open octave, the following message appears in the "terminal" window that comes up:

exec '/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave'
savona:~ michael$ exec '/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave'
/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave: line 62: /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave-3.4.0: Bad CPU type in executable

[Process completed]

I am then unable to type anything in to that window.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks