Re: problem setting up octave

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: problem setting up octave
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 12:45:01 -0400

On Jun 4, 2012, at 12:34 PM, Michael Teitelbaum wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a new octave user, trying to set up octave on a mac.  I believe I
> followed the installation instructions correctly, but I cannot get octave
> working.  When I open octave, the following message appears in the "terminal"
> window that comes up:
>
> exec '/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave'
> savona:~ michael$ exec
> '/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave'
> /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave: line 62:
> /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave-3.4.0: Bad CPU type in
> executable
>
> [Process completed]
>
> I am then unable to type anything in to that window.  Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Please tell us what version of MacOS you are running, and what your CPU is, and
what version of Octave your have installed.

You are apparently trying to run an app-bundle for a CPU type which your
computer does not have.

Octave's developers currently do not have a reliable app-bundle for Octave
3.4.x, or 3.6.x.  There is an app-bundle for 3.4.x, but some manual adjustments
may be needed to get it working correctly.

        http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_MacOS_X_Bundle

I recommend you try obtaining Octave via a package manager instead.

        http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Octave_for_MacOS_X

Ben