Re: compiling Intel TBB

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: compiling Intel TBB
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 22:53:55 -0400

On 12 May 2012 19:28, Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as I understand it, SuiteSparse benefits from using TBB (Thread Building
> Blocks), so I've decided to compile TBB.
>
> It was easy, but I've noticed that '-march=pentium4' is chosen. It is funny
> since I have an AMD processor.

Intel has been known to intentionally pessimise for non-Intel
hardware. See this, for example:

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/05/07/12/1320202/amd-alleges-intel-compilers-create-slower-amd-code

Intel still pessimises, but the original article is no longer there,
presumably due to the following disclaimer at the bottom:

http://software.intel.com/sites/products/web2010/prod-images/icc12-1_spec_lin-800.png

So, they're still doing it, but because they're telling you that
they're doing it, they can do it legally.

I would expect other software other than icc to also pessimise. I see
that TBB is free, so perhaps they hide it better there or they don't
do it at all. All in all, it seems certain that Intel has no interest
in helping you work with non-Intel hardware, so you're probably on
your own. You should consult with the TBB or Suitesparse people, for
best luck on how to make it work on AMD hardware.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.