how to install octave-Forge on linux mint?

From: Robert H
Subject: how to install octave-Forge on linux mint?
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 02:31:29 -0700 (PDT)

I find using octave a bit confusing.

I see many packages around, but no idea how to install them. I see now package called octave-Forge

http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.php

But I do not see this listed on linux mint synaptic package manager.

it says to use command

pkg install  file.tar.gz

but on linux mint, I see no command called pkg.

Is there a way to install all of octave packages? I really do not want to go download files myself from the net here and there, and with no help to tell one what functions are installed, this is not going to work for me.

What is the best way to install octave and have all these packages there with help telling me what function is in each package?

thank you,
Robert