Re: classdef functionality

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: classdef functionality
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 11:29:19 -0500

http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=GSoC_Project_Ideas#Implement_classdef_classes

| If you want to help, you can mentor or find a student who is willing
| and able to do this.
|
| Assuming Octave gets accepted as a mentoring organisation, of course...

I would also be interested in doing this work if someone wanted to
hire me to do it.  That's how the "legacy" @CLASS classes were added
to Octave.  My experience doing that work tells me that this job will
require significant time and expertise.  Probably more than can be
handled by a GSoC student unless they are already quite familiar with
Octave internals and Matlab's classdef classes.  My experience also
tells me that any initial implementation is done in just a few months
time would be far from complete and bug free.  That should not
surprise anyone, given the complexity of the classdef interface and
the fact that there is no formal specification for it.

jwe