Re: Problem with simple graphics

From: Bernard Abramson
Subject: Re: Problem with simple graphics
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 09:22:20 -0500

On Feb 20, 2012, at 8:17 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2012, at 10:51 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

>>> Ben,
>>>
>>> Thanks for trying.  This is not the first time I've run up against OS X
>>> problems -- I had a hard time getting Eclipse to run Fortran (yes, I'm a
>>> really ancient Fortran programmer).  I got there in the end.
>>>
>>> By the way, Gnuplot tells me it's version 4.4 patch level 3 and I thought I
>>> saw somewhere that it's bundled with Aqua so it really ought to work out of
>>> the box.
>>>
>>> Bernard
>>
>> You should check to be sure that gnuplot isn't running a version of Aquaterm
>> you had installed previously. If it is installed it will be in Applications
>> or a directory thereof.
>>
>> If there is no other Aquaterm, then I have a bit of a wild guess. Edit the
>> gnuplot script again and find the lines below. Remove the "#"s seen below.
>>
>> if [ -z ${GNUTERM} ]; then
>> GNUTERM="aqua"
>> #  DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH="${ROOT}/lib:${DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH}" \
>> #    open "${ROOT}/lib/AquaTerm.app"
>> fi
>>
>> Then start Octave and try ...
>>
>>      setenv ("GNUTERM", "")
>>      plot (1:10)
>>
>> Ben
>
> I tried this. Aquaterm runs and the plot shows up (as it did before). I then
> click-n-hold on Aquaterm in the Dock until the menu appears. Then I select
> [Options -> Show in Finder]. This verified that the correct Aquaterm is
> running.
>
> If  you do the same and find that the correct Aquaterm is running, the I'd
> suspect some library that Aquaterm uses is not installed for you.
>
> Ben

I think that takes care of everything.  Plotting happens in Aqua, no errors of
any kind, and the version of Aqua that Gnuplot runs is the one that was
installed with Gnuplot (anyway I deleted the copy I installed directly myself).

Thank you very much.

Given the number of scientific users who use Macs and the number who require
linear algebra one would have thought this would have been sorted out long ago!

Regards,

Bernard