Re: Problem with simple graphics

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Problem with simple graphics
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 22:51:07 -0500

On Feb 19, 2012, at 9:34 PM, Bernard Abramson wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2012, at 9:26 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

>>> Thanks.  I set the terminal to aqua in Gnuplot.  When I entered
>>>
>>> plot sin(x)
>>>
>>> Aquaterm starts but nothing happens.
>>>
>>> If I set the terminal to x11 and enter the plot command I get the right
>>> output.
>>>
>>> Bernard
>>
>> Ok. I'm out of ideas. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion. If you
>> really want to use aqua, you might try the 4.2.6 gnuplot that is bunded with
>> Maxima.
>>
>> Since you are using 3.4.0, you might want to try the experimental OpenGL
>> toolkit.
>>
>>      close all
>>      graphics_toolkit fltk
>>
>> After than try your plots.
>>
>> From gnuplot you might also try ...
>>
>>      set term
>>
>> That will tell you what terminals are available. If wxt is there, you might
>> try that as well.
>>
>>      close all
>>      setenv GNUTERM wxt
>>      graphics_toolit gnuplot
>>
>> and then try you plots.
>>
>> Ben
>>

>> Ben
>>

> Ben,
>
> Thanks for trying.  This is not the first time I've run up against OS X
> problems -- I had a hard time getting Eclipse to run Fortran (yes, I'm a
> really ancient Fortran programmer).  I got there in the end.
>
> By the way, Gnuplot tells me it's version 4.4 patch level 3 and I thought I
> saw somewhere that it's bundled with Aqua so it really ought to work out of
> the box.
>
> Bernard

You should check to be sure that gnuplot isn't running a version of Aquaterm
you had installed previously. If it is installed it will be in Applications or
a directory thereof.

If there is no other Aquaterm, then I have a bit of a wild guess. Edit the
gnuplot script again and find the lines below. Remove the "#"s seen below.

if [ -z ${GNUTERM} ]; then
  GNUTERM="aqua"
#  DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH="${ROOT}/lib:${DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH}" \
#    open "${ROOT}/lib/AquaTerm.app"
fi

Then start Octave and try ...

        setenv ("GNUTERM", "")