help subsystem (makeinfo)

From: ahowe42
Subject: help subsystem (makeinfo)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 05:43:43 -0800 (PST)

Hi everyone

I am mostly new to Linux, and have switched almost entirely from Windows &
MATLAB to Linux and Octave.  That said, I may ask something very simple and
stupid :-).  I am running Ubuntu 11.10 on a 64-bit machine.

I had installed octave (and QT octave) from the ubuntu repository, then
realized that the java-1.2.8 package requires a newer version, so I
uninstalled octave and downloaded the binaries for 3.4.3.  It compiled and
installed without me observing any errors, and for the most part seems ok.

I expanded the tarball into my downloads folder, and ran the installation
from there (into /usr/local/share).  My first (easy) question is do I have
to keep these installation files?

Secondly: when I'm in octave, if I execute "help func" where func is not one
my own functions, I get the message
""sh: makeinfo: not found
warning: help: Texinfo formatting filter exited abnormally; raw Texinfo
source of help text follows..."

I have the latest version of texi2html installed.  If someone can help me
get this working, I'll be very appreciative.

Andrew