mkoctfile CFLAGS not recognised

From: laila
Subject: mkoctfile CFLAGS not recognised
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 23:42:55 -0800 (PST)

Hello!

This is, I hope, a rather trivial question for all you clever people! I am
trying to migrate from Matlab to Octave, and I want to mex compile one of my
mex files, which uses omp. Now, I have (I believe) configured octave to
enable omp. However the following command results in frustrating errors

mkoctfile --mex file.c CFLAGS='\$CFLAGS -fopenmp'

mkoctfile: unrecognized argument CFLAGS='$CFLAGS
error: `fopenmp' undefined near line 46 column 62

and

mkoctfile --mex file.c CFLAGS="\$CFLAGS -fopenmp"

error: unterminated string constant
parse error:

>>> mkoctfile  file.c  CFLAGS="\$CFLAGS  -Wl,-fopenmp"

and so I am thoroughly confused . It worked beautifully on Matlab, and after
hours of searching for an answer I have not been able to solve this.

Has anyone else come across this problem before?

If I drop the CFLAGS altogether it's very happy and compiles the mex file
for me, it just does not seem to like CFLAGS.