Octave 3.4 packages for Debian/Ubuntu

From: Daniel Arteaga
Subject: Octave 3.4 packages for Debian/Ubuntu
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 13:06:37 +0200

Hi,

It has passed some time now from the release of Octave 3.4, but still Debian and Ubuntu have in its archives only packages for version 3.2, even in the developement/unstable version.

What is more, there are different packages for different versions of old releases of octave (octave3.0 and octave3.2). This is uncommon for most other software releases, and probably inpractical now that the plan is to make more frequent relesases (as far as I understand).

Do you know why is that? Who is the mantainer of the Debian packages?

I understand that making Debian packages is not the task of the Octave developers, but still most Linux users access to Octave through the package in their distribution.

Best,

Daniel