Re: Octave 3.4 packages for Debian/Ubuntu

From: Daniel Arteaga
Subject: Re: Octave 3.4 packages for Debian/Ubuntu
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:04:20 +0200

On 19/10/11 16:01, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
Daniel Arteaga<address@hidden>  writes:

It has passed some time now from the release of Octave 3.4, but still Debian
and Ubuntu have in its archives only packages for version 3.2, even in the
developement/unstable version.

What is more, there are different packages for different versions of old
releases of octave (octave3.0 and octave3.2). This is uncommon for most other
software releases, and probably inpractical now that the plan is to make more
frequent relesases (as far as I understand).

Do you know why is that? Who is the mantainer of the Debian packages?

I understand that making Debian packages is not the task of the Octave
developers, but still most Linux users access to Octave through the package in
their distribution.

We are working on the Octave 3.4 package for Debian, and it is almost
ready. There are a few remaining issues that need to be dealt with
before making the release.

It is also our plan to drop the support for several stable branches of
Octave in parallel. The new Octave 3.4 package will just be called
"octave", and we will drop octave3.0 and octave3.2 from the archive.

Thank you very much for your reply,

Dani