RE: Problem with Pliot in 3.2.4

From: Ian Journeaux
Subject: RE: Problem with Pliot in 3.2.4
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 15:28:13 -0500

> I am having a problem generating plots reliably from within Octave.
> Where Octave will hang. After reviewing the threads on the subject, I
> realized that this is a recognized issue. The proposed fixes  involve:
> -      making sure Oct2mat.m is not loaded
> -     renaming
> Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\share\octave\packages\plot-1.0.7\ginput.m so
> that it doesn't conflict with the ginput.m that is part of Octave
> -     adding sleep(0.05); atline 112 in
> ...\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\share\octave\3.2.4\m\plot\__gnuplot_ginput_
> _.m
>
> I have just implemented this changes and am monitoring to see if the
> problem is resolved. Is there anything else I should do to try and
> work around this issue.
>
> Take Care
> Ian

>>Can you give us an example of the problem you are having?
>>Preferably a short m-file script and the result.

Ben I was able to confirm that the 3 changes made above did NOT conclusively
solve the problem. Unfortuantely the problem isn't consistently reproducible
so I am not sure anything I could package up would be useful. I have run
this analysis on several different computers. My desk machine, a Thinkpad
A61, always works. The two lap computers HP Desktops (not super machine but
competent and as fast as my laptop)  fail on a frequent enough basis that I
have to  come up with a solution.

Basically I have a script that performs an analysis on an image and
generates 2 plots. If I analyze 50 images, one after and other, Octave will
hang on 1 or 2 of the images. Unfortuantely it isn't the image itself that
causes the problem as it will be analyzed successfully one time, only to
fail the next time I analyze the image.

In  my review of the information associated with this commonly reported
problem, it seems to be a timing issue.

I realize you can't help much if you can't reproduce the error. I will try
to look tonight to see if I can simplify the .m file and produce the error I
am seeing.

Take Care