Re: How to install Octave 3.4 on Cygwin?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: How to install Octave 3.4 on Cygwin?
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:39:37 -0400

On Jun 13, 2011, at 7:19 PM, Eric Hulburd wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Jun 13, 2011, at 6:28 PM, Eric Hulburd wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm a new user to Octave.  I originally downloaded the
>> > 'octave-3.4.0.tar.gz' file from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/.  I didn't
>> > know what to do with a .tar.gz file so I then downloaded it from here:
>> > http://octave.sourceforge.net/.  This is version 3.2.4 and I was hoping to
>> > install the io package from http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.php, so
>> > I first have to get version 3.4.0.
>> >
>> > I tried pasting the octave-3.4.0.tar.gz file to my current directory and
>> > then commanding 'pkg install octave-3.4.0.tar.gz' but after a while it
>> > just returned a bunch of errors that I don't really understand.
>> >
>> > Am I following the right procedures?  How do I install the latest version
>> > of Octave using the tar.gz file and then install the io package?
>> >
>> > Thanks much,
>> > Eric
>>
>> The file 'octave-3.4.0.tar.gz' is a gnu-zipped. It contains the source files
>> for 0ctave-3.4.
>>
>> Is your computer running Windows? If so you'll need to install cygwin to run
>> Octave-3.4 (or wait for the port to mingw to arrive).
>>
>>        http://www.cygwin.com/
>>
>> If you decide to install cygwin, be sure to avoid version 1.7.9. That
>> version has a bug the prevents Octave's graphics from working.
>>
>> Ben
>
> Ok I am probably going to install cygwin then.  Do I just use that program to
> open the tar.gz file?

No. I'm not familiar with how Cygwin works, but you'll need to install the
Cygwin Octave-3.4 package.

Unfortunately, I've never used Cygwin. So I won't be able to help.

I've remained the subject to give better context.

Ben

p.s. When posting to this email list, please respond at the bottom so that
those arriving later can follow along. Also please "reply-all".