Re: installation of latest version of octave & packages

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: installation of latest version of octave & packages
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 11:57:24 -0700 (PDT)

Eric Hulburd wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a new user to Octave.  I originally downloaded the
> 'octave-3.4.0.tar.gz'
> file from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/.  I didn't know what to do with a
> .tar.gz file so I then downloaded it from here:
> http://octave.sourceforge.net/.  This is version 3.2.4 and I was hoping to
> install the io package from http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.php, so
> first have to get version 3.4.0.

If all you're after is the io package, there's good news for you (supposing
you have Windows as operating system):

The octave-3.2.4 binary you saw contains a lot of pre-packed octave-forge
packages, a.o. that very io package (a somewhat older version, but still
OK).
All you need to do is to select the needed packages at install time... (for
io you might also need the java package)
(but! WARNING ! Do *NOT* SELECT the oct2mat package (sorry for shouting) -
that package will screw up a lot of things)

The io package at sourceforge (now at version 1.0.14) works fine with
octave-3.2.4.
If you desire you can install io-1.0.14 right over the one in the
octave-3.2.4MINGW binary, it is perhaps not the proper procedure but in this
case it'll work out OK.

Were you to have Mac OSX, I'm not sure if the java package will install OK
there (has anyone tried?) -  the java package is a prerequisite for the io
package on non-Windows systems
On OSX you'd need much more than just the Mac OSX 3.4.0 Octave binary to get
the io package up and running: MacPorts, gcc, ....., whatnot)

Philip