Re: Maidir le: Octave and Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally

From: clustro
Subject: Re: Maidir le: Octave and Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 17:40:01 -0700 (PDT)

What was just tripping me up was that I was remembering from grade school the
"PEMDAS" abbreviation. I took it simply to mean that was the priority order
for the operations.

The abbreviation seems highly misleading. Perhaps PE(MD)(AS) would be better
-_- .

This is most embarrassing. I am somewhat flummoxed how I was able to get all
the way through engineering school and NOT be forced to reconcile this
fundamental misunderstanding. But then again, in books and my written
homework, everything is written/was written in a rather unambiguous
"pretty-print" format, where there is little need to remember the order of
operations.

And when the formulas get just too big and computation is required, I
usually just convert them into RPN and put them in that way, so then the
chance of confusion is zero.

But thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding everyone. I strongly doubt
I'll be the last person to bring this up and this thread will be here for
others to look up and correct themselves with.

Thank you all,

-Brad Ridder